Wednesday, July 17, 2013

First Recheck With Endocrinologist

     So in the month of May we decided to try getting pregnant a go.  We were hoping my cycle would still be on track and that I'd hopefully ovulate.  My period due date (5-24-13) came and went, but pregnancy tests were negative, and no period.  Now I'm guessing maybe going low stopped my cycle again?  *sigh*  I figure 2 weeks after and still a negative test means there's nothing happening.  Interestingly enough, I feel I'm finally seeing signs that may be PMS.
     I've been on 50mg PTU three times daily since my fT4 came back low.  I went in to have new labs taken so we'd have results by 6-10-13, when my recheck was scheduled with my endo.  New fT4 was 0.85 ng/dL (0.9-1.7).  TSH (which hasn't been measured since February) 2.06 uU/mL (0.4-5.5).  This is very good!  Even though I'm currently hypothyroid, my TSH kicked into gear like it was supposed to and was trying to help my body produce thyroid hormone.
     I went in for my recheck on 6-10-13 and bombarded the poor guy with so many questions  He won't quite commit to an answer if it's OK for us to try and get pregnant, but he does say that we want to aim for a fT4 of 1.5 ng/dL.  We lowered the PTU dose further, to one pill 3 times per day for 3 days, and one pill 2 times a day for 4 days.  We'll recheck labs again in about a month.  I expressed to him I was worried about having celiac disease, and I was pretty sure going gluten free (GF) was helping.  We decided to run antibody tests for celiac at my next thyroid testing.
     So it turned out I was right, and on 6-14-13 I got my period, but it only lasted about 2 days.  I'm really hoping my T4 will normalize and my cycle will go back to a standard 4 week cycle.  If it does normalize, I'll ovulate around our 4 year wedding anniversary (6-27-13) and may try again to get pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment